Fans of The Legend of Prince Valiant & Robin Hood!

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Personal History

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Donovan

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Personal History   Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:38 pm

Welcome fellow Valiant members,

As a maiden message i choose to tell you about my personal (no it will not be a biografy) history about my love for the stories of prince valiant.

When i was a young boy, still merely a child, i vieuwed my first ever episode of 'the legend of prince valiant' It made quite an impression on me.
henceforth i tried my best to watch every episode of the series, and when i was not watching prince valiant, i was playing him, with my own cape(made by my mother) and wooden sword and shield(made by my dad) i was the prince of the neighborhood, or so i thought.
As you may well imagine, i was(and very likely still am) quite strange, strange as in, out of the ordinary, i liked the ideals of camelot, and when i with m,y childisch eyes saw injustice, i would go forth and bring justice, which ment that i tried to keep the peace in the neigborhood.
becouse i lived in my own little fantasy world, i was bullied sometimes, though i had plenty of friends who would be with me in the fantasy world, they would be rowane and arn, and even mere soldiers of camelot.
When i was not outside playing knight, i was inside drawing battles and castles, and fair damsels.

As happens with all good times, these thoughtless years of youth passed ass i aged.
Though with this the influence of the legend of prince valiant does not end.
My ideals, and morals and of course knowledge of history were of higher standards than those who missed these series, and i am till today proud on this heritage.

Today i am twenty years old, and how could it be anything different, a history student.
I recently bought the dvd collection of prince valiant and watched all episodes over and over again.
The melancholic tune 'out where the truth lies' still wonderfull, and although the graphics have aged somewhat, it still keeps intriguing me.

As for the conclusion of this tale, i ask you all to write your history in accordance with prince valiant.

I bid you all a fair night gentlemen and damsel alike.
My most sincere greetings,

Donovan Rex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JeffOfCamelot
Admin

Male Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:50 pm

A big welcome to you Donovan!

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm Jeff, my twin brother and I grew up watching LOPV. I've loved Arthurian Legend for ages, my favorite childhood film being Disney's Sword In The Stone. I guess, I'm pretty obsessed with King Arthur and The Round Table, it's my favorite subject. I'm interested in medieval history, and own tons of book (enough to break a shelf) on the topic.

A few years back my brother Jordan and I founded Valiant - Arn - Rowanne - Forever a fanforum for Prince Valiant. A fellow fan started a petition to get LOPV on DVD, and as you can see (rather watch Wink ) it paid off in full! Recently the forum has suffered a major dead zone, as we basically use to talk about episodes we couldn't remember, and what we hoped to see on DVD. We got what we wanted, and the forum died down.

Anyhow, with the new forum, I think there's going to be some great discussions since we'll be hosting a range of topics. It's good to see eager posting!

Long Live The Heroes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JordanSkywalker
Admin

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Jeff covered our story so well, I need not repeat it. All I can say is, I lived it. Laughing

A big welcome Donovan and thanks for sharing your history with us! king

Male Number of posts : 32

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Prince Valiant is a huge part of my childhood. It reflected the 90s perfectly and gave me a much needed Medieval fix for entertainment each week. I still remember getting hyped as prime time approached, waiting for the next exciting adventure of Valiant, Arn and Rowanne. As I kid, I didn't really grasp the moral messages and lessons which are carefully woven into the framework of the stories. Instead, I just watched the action and cheered for the heroes. The animation may be a bit dated and unappreciated to the world of computer technology today, but it still holds up a whole lot better than most of the other stuff from the time. You can actually watch it without being embarrassed. I still find myself watching Prince Valiant and being entertained and totally caught up in the story. Something that I can't say holds truth to my other favorite shows as a kid. Yeah, The Prince is special and holds a place of honor in my DVD collection. The discs may be double sided. Sir Bryant's tunic may look like a super-suit with the bad transfer of the color red, yet it doesn't take any of the experience away. What else can I say to explain my love for Prince Valiant? Never again do I expect to be so comfortable in front of a TV set and so in awe of the high production values set by the creative term who put together 65 quality action-packed episodes. There was more than just action. Yeah so the 700 club thought some of the violence was too much... Well, I've got news for them. The world is a violent place. It's better for kids to learn what war brings than to be raised in a bubble if you ask me. I always admired the way the show went into stuff other cartoons at the time avoided. It took itself seriously in a way that it was more than just a piece of animation. The characters were like actors. It could have easily been live action and still worked, yet I'm glad they chose to go with drawing it as I bet it would have been pretty cheesy as far as what money could buy for the budget. I'm proud to be among the original fans for an all-around excellent series. So let's hear it for Prince Valiant! His legend still lives on and The Singing Sword still swings!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UtherBendragon

Male Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:03 am

Hats off Ken, I almost hate to have to post after you, great post. Smile

I watched LOPV as a kid, and couldn't remember much about it years later. I recalled Arn, and King Arthur mostly, two of my favorite characters, but it wasn't until a few years ago I rediscovered the great series, and realized just how great it was, and is.

Nostalgia plays a huge part in my interests. As a die-hard Star Wars fan, the links of themes between The Galaxy Far Far Away and LOPV hit me straight away. Knights and Jedi's speak the same language. Their mission: Justice. Their weapon: Faith in something greater and a burning desire for peace. There are those rebels who aren't quite who they're suppose to be: Arn, a peasant turned hero. Han Solo, a mercenary, turned hero. Valiant's dream come true, is comparable to Luke becoming a Jedi, both brought a new era to their worlds. There's no doubt about it, lazer blaster or bow and arrow, Leia and Rowanne are two gals you don't want to cross. The Force might be strong in the eyes of Merlin's falcon, and The Dark Side pulls tricks with Morgana's mischief. It's all there, if you look, you'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaliburnRider

Male Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:09 am

Wow, Ben.... That was incredible and thought provoking! Exclamation

How do you guys write with such beauty?! affraid

I really need to get my own history up. One of these days I will. I promise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donovan

Male Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:34 am

A truely marvelous comparisson.

The legend of prince valiant, as well as the star wars trilogy both feature the truely romantic vision of good vs. evil.
On epic scales the forces of justice compell with all their braverey the wicked ways of the evil side, the dark side of you will.
Though the plot lines occur to be similar, the way they ae put in a sf settin g or a medieval/fantasy setting demonstrate how appealing the battles of good vs. evil are.
Not only in LOPV and Star Wars is this to be found, in almost all romantic work these opposites occur, even in the series of batman.
As well as in the lord of the rings.

Though i can not do anything else then commit the truth of your words, and join your vision completely.

For, as a LOPV and Star Wards fan, how can i do anything but agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaliburnRider

Male Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:30 pm

Alright, I decided to write my history:

My name is Kirk. I have a sister who posts here, Lindsey. I have a dog, his name is Max. I like Mexican food. My favorite Star Wars movie is Return of The Jedi. I'm a big fan of animation and my all time favorite Disney movie is Aladdin (the genie is hilarious! Laughing ). I was sorry when Disney stopped making those movies, but they were still being made back in the day when LOPV first came out. My whole family loved the show I remember, so it was always a highlight to check it out. I can't say I ever really followed anything the main cast did or had my hair cut to look like any other the characters. I mean I wasn't that extreme of a fan, just the usual kind. If I ever make it out of college alive I plan to be a manager for some establishment, probably a dry cleaners. That's all I can think of. geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JeffOfCamelot
Admin

Male Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks for posting that Kirk. Even though I know you, I still enjoyed reading it. Very Happy Collage is brutal....but come to think of it, school is like that in general. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skywalking

Female Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:33 pm

I just realized I ought to contribute my own story, particularly as I joined the last board rather late and didn't have a chance to get to know anyone very well over there. I think the whole...thing with me started when my mother took me to the Renaissance festival when I was very small. I loved the princesses, the unicorns and everything else, but what captured my attention most was the jousting and the knights.

Everything only grew from there and it was wonderful to discover Prince Valiant on the family channel and to meet Rowanne who showed me that women CAN be knights. Seeing that was all I needed, though watching the occasional woman jousting at faire is always encouraging as well! For a variety of reasons, I haven't been in a position to try the physical side of knighthood until recently and now its money that's holding me up, but I am determined to someday join the SCA and eventually make my way to the Chivalry. Until then, I hang around the Ren Faire and of course read and re-read my many many Arthurian legend books. And I window shop for crossbows in order to fuel my little obsession with them, and with most things Medieval.

In fact, I recently completed my Master's degree with a specialization in Arthurian Literature. My exam topic was the various incarnations of Morgan le Fay, a topic which interested me, though I confess that my heart actually lies with the knights. I love Lancelot and I always have, though I think my favorite knight is actually Sir Agravaine. It's my dream to someday find even a fragment of a poem about him that has been lost with time, though alluded to in period texts and in Sir Gawain and The Green Knight. I think I hope to help redeem this character a little, he's not the nicest person in the modern texts, though he has a decent reputation in the earliest works and...frankly that fascinates me.

I am working on an Arthurian based novel which focuses on the lives of Mordred(as Arthur's son, not our Sir Mordred!) and Lancelot's son Galahad before the holy grail and fall of Camelot. So far its a matter of me plugging away but hopefully someday it shall be finished. I think that I could stumble into Camelot, almost any Camelot and be perfectly happy for the rest of my life.

Having come to find out that Val episodes were now on DVD, I ordered them, and promptly fell in love again. They were a lovely diversion in a summer that I spent mostly studying Arthurian Lit. I really enjoy comparing various modern retellings to the earliest and most famous texts and seeing what has changed and hasn't and considering the ways in which our society influences these things. I'm also a fan of the Robin Hood legends for this reason. Lets see...Obviously from my username, I'm also into Starwars, I really like Dragonheart and Indiana Jones too and I LOVE the animated Dungeons and Dragons cartoon from the eighties.

One thing of note about me that's changed a bit. The first time around with Prince Valiant, I loved Rowanne best. These days, it's Gawain who has claimed my heart and mind and as someone struggling to find a teaching position, I identify a LOT with Arn and adore him.

I'm also one of those people who would like to believe Arthur will come again (and talk about how that was used in the series! Awesome take on that idea!) and I'm eagerly waiting for him. Maybe it's time I actually looked busy.
king
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fisher_queen.livejournal.com
SirVancelot

Male Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:45 pm

I don't really have a "history" or anything compelling to say here, but I am a big fan of LOPV and King Arthur legends. I first saw LOPV on television when it originally aired. I can't think of anything else to say. I didn't run around with bedsheets and a plastic sword or try to make the world a better place. I was just the average kid who enjoyed good television. Sorry this is so short, but I have no saga to relay. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PrincessLeah

Female Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:31 pm

I'm about like you Vance, nothing too epic to share. I use to read Hal Foster's PV comics in the newspaper, and watched LOPV when it originally aired. Having an interest in castles, and knights it was my cuppa tea as a series. I've seen the 50s film "Prince Valiant" with Robert Wagner, and Janet Leigh, which I think it's pretty good for it's type of film. I of course bought LOPV when it came to DVD, it's a big relief to not have to shake the old VHS tapes anymore! Surprised
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Personal History   

Back to top Go down

Personal History
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Legends Live Forever  :: Legends Live Forever :: The Legend of Prince Valiant-
Jump to: